Noughty was founded in 2016 by Rachel and Lorna who have been friends for over twenty years back when sun-in highlights, terrible perms and frizzy fringes were the hairstyles of dreams.
Both went on to become beauty industry experts who have worked for some of the most-loved natural brands in the world and, armed with this passion and knowledge, they were inspired to create an accessible naturals brand centred around high performance. And so, Noughty was born.
They recognized that the naturals world could be a confusing (and slightly dull) place so the aim was to keep Noughty simple, transparent and looking great on your bathroom shelf. Every Noughty product is rooted in the science of plant power and we aim to give open and transparent information about the science, ingredients and every formulation decision that powers product performance.
The magic of Noughty lies in the ingredients. Behind every decision there is a great team whose knowledge and passion help to create Noughty. That’s where The Beauty Botanist, Jennifer Hirsch comes in.
From Jen’s encyclopaedic plant knowledge to the naturals experts in our laboratories, we consider ingredient efficacy at every stage, helping to give you the best performance and Noughty experience.
We believe beauty shouldn’t come at the price of the planet. So, while we create Noughty products with an aim to bring you joy and confidence, we always prioritize our transparent values in responsible, ethical sourcing and sustainability.
As Aretha put it, it all comes down to a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T, for people, paws and the planet. Noughty always sources responsibly with ethical farming, sustainable packaging choices and, where necessary, using synthetic ingredients to preserve natural resources. You can read more about our sustainability mission here.
We make a conscious choice to deliver a minimum of 97% natural ingredients to every Noughty bottle. Your next question might be “what is the remaining 3%?” Well, this is the bit which allows us to deliver safe, ethically conscious formulas. Plants power the performance and synthetics keep it hygienic to stop it expiring too quickly, separating and our favourite part – leaving your hair smelling gorgeous.
Buying natural ingredients also enables us to do business with farmers in some of the poorest communities in the world, making a life-changing difference to the future outcomes of that community.
Tested on people not pets, we were the first naturals haircare range to be awarded leaping bunny certification by Cruelty Free International, something we’re pretty proud of. Our lifelong promise to remain vegan, vegetarian and cruelty free will never change and we never use any animal or animal-derived ingredients in our products. Not now, not ever.
What’s in a name? Well, our mantra! You’ll find zero, that’s right, none, nada, nought silicones, parabens or sulphates in any of our products.
You can also think of us as your guilt-free Dutch courage, giving you the confidence boost to get out there and be your best version of you. With great hair, comes great possibilities!